Wednesday 8 April 2015

Say it with flowers


Being a woman, I grew up with romanticising receiving flowers from a secret admirer or boyfriend or partner. And I love receiving flowers.  All those special occasions made happy because the one special person in my life gave me flowers !  I am sure there will be those who know what I am talking about.



The years have gone by and those days are over.   I've grown to accept that the only way to have flowers at home now is buying them myself, or enjoying the blooms in the garden.  A bit sad really to think that gone are the days when I waited to see who would send me flowers.  But I suppose this is part of growing up, as youth disappears and maturity sets in.

My life has had several twists and turns and today I am living with my father after my mother passed on.  This is not where I had pictured myself being at this stage in my life, but I understand today that this is exactly where I am supposed to be at this time in my life.  And I thank God for bringing me all the events in my life that brought me back to be with my father when he needs me.

But getting back to flowers - we have flowering plants in the garden, roses being one of the them.  And my father, God Bless him, started plucking a rose and giving it to me in the morning with the words "say it with flowers".  At first I was surprised and happy to receive a rose, but now I am deeply touched and moved by this simple gesture of love from my father.  I can't begin to explain how much joy and meaning this simple act of love brings me.  We often get conditioned into giving a particular meaning to a certain action; like receiving flowers from a romantic partner holds so much more meaning than receiving them from anyone else, and I realise how much joy we lose out on because of such thought patterns.

We don't need big events or moments to experience, love, joy, happiness, we can enjoy all of this every moment of our life, by just experiencing and being thankful for all the little things in our life.  I realise that it is the simple gestures made from the heart that matter most and bring lasting joy to all those involved.

Stop waiting for something to happen to make you happy, look at what you have right now in your life and believe me, you will find that something to be happy about, whatever your circumstance in life may be.

In Love and Light

No comments:

Post a Comment