Saturday 30 March 2013

Honesty and integrity


Honesty, truth and integrity - how do we value this, are we truthful in all we do, or are there times when we tell ourselves that this little lie will not matter, it will not harm anyone?



Are there untruths that are acceptable and others that are not?  There are times when we may have reasons to justify when we are not completely honest to another being.  But are we really justified or are they excuses to make ourselves feel better.

I believe the truth is what it is no matter what the circumstances or justifications or excuses we may have.  There is no grey area - it is either true or false.

I had gone to the supermarket a couple of days ago to buy the usual groceries and other stuff.  Later that evening I realised that I was missing one of the items and on checking the bill I confirmed that I was charged for it.  I assumed that I must have missed putting it in the bag while packing the things as the check out clerk was processing the items quickly.  Not a problem, I was back at the supermarket the next day and explained what happened to the person at the Customer Services counter.  She checked her records and said no one had reported that the item was left behind.  She was very helpful and said not to worry, just pick the same item again and it was given to me without any charge.  As things would have it, back at home, I found the original item I purchased with the cat food (I am normally very organised with packing things in a certain way!!) and my immediate thought was that I was not honest and got an item from the supermarket without paying for it.  My decision was to go back to the supermarket the next day and explain what happened and return the item or pay for it.  I felt much better after taking the decision.  I went back to the supermarket the day after and sheepishly explained what happened to the person at Customer Service and offered to return the item or pay for it whichever was easier for them.  The Customer Services person was stunned with my explanation and just looked at me and said that people are not that honest and that I should just keep the item.  I was shocked at this and offered to pay for the item, but she just said the item was already processed and that I should just keep it.

This incident has got me thinking of how as a society we take honesty.  Where do we draw the line with lies that we say are acceptable and what we consider unacceptable? And does the list of acceptable lies increase as we go through life?  We all lie in our lives, none of us are saints, but how do we decide what is acceptable and what is not.

I believe that if we have truth as our foundation in whatever we do, then it will succeed.  It does not matter whether it is something small and insignificant or something on a larger scale - size does not matter.  Only truth matters.

Have a blessed day
In Love and Light

No comments:

Post a Comment