Wednesday 5 September 2012

Living in the present

Image source: Samuel Greenberg's Facebook page

Today is the tomorrow you dreamt about yesterday.

I’ve read articles and heard talks on how you should live in the present, in the right now and not in the past or the future.  And I guess I always thought ‘yes, that’s true, it makes sense that you should live in the present and not in the past or the future’ and then let it go.

But I think I am only beginning to realise what this actually means and it’s only by going through difficult times that I began to think and gain insight into those sayings that seem to always float about just above just waiting to get some attention.

What does it mean to live in the present or in the moment? Is it that we don’t bother about any of the things that happened to us or live as if we don’t care about tomorrow and therefore do whatever we want today?  I don’t think so.  For me the realisation is that what I experience each moment and how I think and react in each moment is the key.  I can spend my present moment thinking of the past and be either happy or sad about things that happened or think about tomorrow and worry about how the day is going to be.  But that would mean that my present is lost because I am not experiencing right now.  And right now can be very peaceful; without all the worries that I may otherwise have on my mind.

Right now being in the moment for me is – sitting at my desk typing this, I am enjoying writing and putting my thoughts down, just writing away.  I am at peace with myself, I am not thinking about anything else, not of what happened, or what may or may not happen.  Right now at this moment there is no worry or anguish or pain about anything. 

Does this mean that I am not bothered about anything and by being in the present I am not thinking of resolving issues that I am faced with? I don’t think so.  I know what I must face, but I think that by being in the present, I am able to hold on to positive energies and thoughts and thereby shape my next moment and the next and so on through all the moments that I live through.

Does that make sense?  I hope so as I am still processing this and working on integrating this in my life.

In Love and Light

No comments:

Post a Comment