Monday 24 September 2012

Truth, honesty, integrity and love

Image source: Samuel Greenberg's facebook page

I’m facing a situation where my basic values in life are being questioned.

There is a person who I thought was a friend, someone who I’ve known for over ten years and who over those years have actually been a person I could rely on.

Today the same person has betrayed the very basis of the friendship by cheating me and continuing to do things that are hurtful and even illegal.  And the truly painful part is that he seems to be winning at this point of time.

So I am sitting here questioning whether honesty, being truthful, not wanting to hurt another human being, doing something good and all that has any real value or meaning if someone who is doing the exact opposite carries on without a backward glance and is able to lead a good life.   I ask myself why this is happening to me, what have I done to bring this kind of suffering on me?  Is it that I am a bad person and what is happening to me is a reflection of what I actually am?

If what is happening to me is a reflection of what I am, then that would mean that I too am a bad person and should behave in the same way, not caring about how I treat other people.  But I know this is not true, because I can’t even begin to think of doing something to knowingly hurt and harm someone else.  I know that whatever happens in my life, I will always have my truth, integrity, honesty and love for another being above all else.  So why then is this happening to me?

I can only guess at the answers – this may be something that I need to understand as part of my rite of passage; could be that I have to release all the negative emotions that have surfaced because of this experience, things that were in my psyche that I had to deal with in this life time and release and this experience has given me the opportunity to do this.  Maybe it is part of my life lesson to understand and practice forgiveness.

I know I cannot wave a magic wand and end all the suffering or release all the pain that I am feeling, but I believe that I have stepped through the first part – acknowledging what is happening and that there is a reason why it is happening in my life right now; which is for me to face up to the negative emotions and release it so that it will not have a hold on me ever again.

The only way I can move forward and out of this is to accept what has happened, not hold onto the negative emotions, but rather acknowledge them and release them with love to the universe, forgive the person who has done me injustice and move forward in life in Love and Light. I know I am a good being at heart and I know that love and truth will prevail in the end, there is no other way.  But at the same time I need to do what I must to protect myself, but know that this must be done without animosity and anger.

There is always only Love – all things lead back to Love – and all negative aspects are there to help us to understand what Love is and bring us back to Love.

As for the person who has brought this experience to me, his life is for him to lead and whatever harm he does to others will get back to him at some point – what you do unto others comes back to you.  I need not waste my time and energy on that, I have better things to concentrate my energies on.

In Love and Light

2 comments:

  1. When we interact with others through kindness, integrity, love and truth, we also expect to be treated and dealt with the same way. Instead if we are lied to, cheated or hurt, we might be tolerant to a certain extent, purely our of love and the feelings we hold for them and we might even point out to them of their wrong doing, hoping the person would understand or change for the better. But if there is no change and the person repeatedly done the same, then that person does not deserve our friendship and there is no point in continuing a relationship that only gives us suffering. Everyone at some point experience the bitterness and pain of unfairness and being wronged upon. That does not mean we deserve it or we are bad. We have no control over the actions of others, but we do have control of the choices we make, to walk away or interact the least with toxic or hurtful people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes agree with you that we have control of the choices we make and we can walk away from the friendship which is what I've done, but when the person carries on and does whatever knowing very well that what he is doing is wrong, it becomes very difficult to forgive.
    I suppose this is the test of doing the right thing.

    ReplyDelete